Saturday, March 26, 2011

Another Go and a Series

I have been painting more than usual.  I managed 2 more.  The first is another landscape of a tree with a field of flowers.  Biggest disappointment in this one is the tree.  Acrylics are think and sometimes it's tricky to get fine detail.  At the completion of the piece however I went and bought from GOLDEN Soft Gel (matte) medium. Definitely liking the stuff. Just need to figure out the best way to use it.

The second piece I've completed is the first of a series I'm going to do. I've been researching and reading about art and artists and often the advice for beginners is to paint what you know or what you like/love.  Well considering my background in food, I've decided to work with food for a bit.  So the series I'm going to do is fruit.  Yes, yes I know it's not that original of an idea, but that's not the point here.  I'm practicing, feeling it out, trial and error.  If it works well, then maybe I'll try and mix it up (once I figure out what my style is).


This WHOLE thing (painting, the blog, blogging about painting) is pretty much to help me find a voice and style of my own.  I need to figure what I like to paint and what I'm good at painting.  I'm also looking for my favorite medium.  Graphite, charcoal, pastels, acrylics, watercolor, etc.  I haven't tried oil yet, pretty intimidated by them at this point.  Plus, I don't have the $$ to reinvest into yet another medium.  So in the mean time I'm going to continue with my acrylics. 


"Landscape #3" 9x12 Acrylic on Canvas board

"Apple" 8x10 Acrylic on Wrapped Canvas

No comments:

Post a Comment