Phase 3 complete. From my original image, to the prismacolor rendering, and finally to an acrylic painting. As with most things on this blog, this was my first attempt at anything like this. I completed "The Poppy II" in two stages. I did the background palm frond first. I really surprised myself with my color mixing. Like I had mentioned in the prisma drawing the palm frond is more of a dusty greenish-blue. I was able to achieve the color I wanted and it's variations by mixing titanium white, thalo blue and cadmium yellow medium. It's going to sound so silly, but I was really impressed with myself to achieve those colors and I was ecstatic when I finished it. Lastly I completed the poppy. Again using primarily cadmium yellow medium and cadmium red light. The purple-reddish shadowing was a mix of cadmium red light, thalo blue, and alizarin red and thinned out. The poppy's center was alizarin red and thalo blue. After everything was initially completed I decided to go back and give a little more definition to the palm. Using the same mixture of thalo blue, titanium white and cadmium yellow medium I lined along each of the strands. This was all completed on 16 x 20 gallery wrapped stretched canvas which I painted along the edges so it doesn't require framing. Thank for looking and I hope you enjoy my interpretation of a poppy.
Phase 1: Background
"The Poppy II"
Acrylic on 16x20 Canvas
Side by side comparison of the acrylic painting and prismacolor drawing.