Graphite on Strathmore 80#
Tuesday, July 19, 2011
I finished "The Heron" this evening. I had been working on it for a few days on and off. It started from a photograph I had taken of a heron at the Cincinnati Zoo. He was in an enclosure so there was no natural background to include. Due to the lack of background interest, I had to come up with my own. This is something I haven rarely done, of have done successfully. I did a lot of research into marshes, herons in marshes, and reeds vs cattails. I had to figure out my horizon line and the light source. I ended up doing this piece backwards (I didn't think it all the way through). I didn't complete the background at all before I drew in the heron and cattails. So that was a challenge. Working with a light source that I determined would be behind the heron, I adjusted my cattails accordingly, and rather successfully. However, as I looked it over I realized the lighting didn't match the heron's. This was the lighting issue I had mentioned previously. This was corrected by just making the heron much darker than I originally rendered him. My next major challenge was water. I have never sketched water before. Again, I went back to researching images of marsh water and other graphite drawings. I think it came out alright. Probably the least successful element of the piece I think. Overall, very happy with my heron and I hope you enjoy it as well.